banner
Get off the cross we need the wood

About Me

Maybe-not-really-20-something-anymore from Norway who likes to scrapbook and take photos documentarystyle and dreams of photojournalism when not working as a photojournalist and that's pretty much what this blog is about. And I like it this way.



My Scrapbooking

Been scrapbooking since late fall 2005. Currently fortunate enough to be a part of the design teams for Hambly Screenprints, Fancy Pants Designs and Pencil-Lines. ♥



2/2

~~ Why crops > hikes and a confession ~~

Posted by Ania On Friday, April 25, 2008

OKay. I have a confession to make.
When I look at pictures of myself and my family from when I was little (or wasn't there at all), I go all warm and fuzzy inside of me when seeing the furnitures, the home, the clothes, the surroundings. These photos are usually not of great quality, usually there's a photo of me and my sis and a huge part of the picture includes a very disturbing background... yet I love and adore them simply because..well, they evoke all these fond memories and stuff with me. Which totally makes them scrapable in my eyes. Even though it might be a lil hard at times I have to admit.

So. It should be pretty clear that I should remember to do the same now once in a while right? Step back, use the wideangle, scoop a lil more of the meeeeessy everyday-house and stuff in the background when taking photos of my own children? And more importantly, scrap these? Hm. Well, I do try to - but - here's my confession. It's hard. I'm so madly in love with my own children - aw look, they're so darn sweet and cute, and yes, it's the mommy in me speaking. I love love love taking closeups of them. Their eyes, their cheeks..their faces... most of my photos of them are portraitstyle. Or photos where they frame the whole picture, leaving just a little background that's blurred out or if I actually remember to, try take the photos in such an angle that the background isn't too disturbing. They're gonna hate me for that I'm sure. One closeup is cool, two...okay..three....right....a zillion..uhm.. that's like, enough now mommy. *sigh* I am trying! Really. But like 95% of my shots of the children pretty much excludes the "background". Ohwell. That still means I've got 5% of the kind of photos they'll prob appreciate the most when they grow up, no?

Anyways. Yesterday was Amalies bday - thank you so much for the bdaywishes!!
There was a crop at the LSS too - but I decided against better judgement to attend the schools after-school-hike. Me and the children. Alone. Great thinking, self! Long story short - me and Amalie lagged so behind and got ever so slightly lost. By the time we finally found our way out of the forest/hill/mountain/whatever they were worried, had sent out a lady to look for us and she backtracked and managed to walk a whole round and back to the school and back to her home...which was just where we got outta the forest at :p Thank god Amalie was in such a cheery mood all the time, exclaiming "that way!" "this way?" "go now!" "Aaaiaaaaaan!" (calling for Adrian who was with the others) and jumping and skipping and bouncing and rolling and occassionally making me carry her when the lil bushes grew too tall for her to handle :p There's no doubt - next time - I'll skip the hike and hit the crop. Screw the stupid prize at school (for attending - the class with the most attendees on their hikes gets a prize). Sometimes you gotta accept your own limitations :p

Ohwell.
Today's yet another big clean-up-day - my sister and nieces are coming over for the weekend in the afternoon - yay - I haven't seen her since what, August or so - way too long! Can't wait to see them again...and to take photos of not-my-children & my beautiful sister - yay! (yeees..even after the confession above here...I *do* tire of taking piccies of my own children at times and long for other subjects ;p)

Have a lovely weekend y'all - I know I will :)

9 intriguing feedbacks to '~~ Why crops > hikes and a confession ~~'

  1. Helle Said,
    https://aniia.blogspot.com/2008/04/why-crops-hikes-and-confession.html?showComment=1209103380000#c1431939773178851729'> 8:03 AM

    Yup, I hear you! Helt enig. Det er så vanskelig å finne balansen mellom gode portretter og å la litt av omgivelsene få bli med... hmmm. Og for ikke å snakke om andre barn. Jeg merker at jeg unngår det også, for de kan jeg jo ikke legge ut på samme måte som med mine egne barn. Så de bildene blir liksom ikke scrappet like ivrig. Dårlig gjort av meg. Takk for påminnelsen, jeg skal huske på det nå i helgen!!
    Ha en flott helg, klem.

     

  2. Camilla G Said,
    https://aniia.blogspot.com/2008/04/why-crops-hikes-and-confession.html?showComment=1209104760000#c4136937107470617426'> 8:26 AM

    Du får det sagt! Jeg er så enig. Når jeg kikker i albumene mine fra min barndom, blir jeg så glad av å se de gamle tingene våre! Og det blir alltiod en krangel mellom meg og mine tre søsken om hvem's leke det er på bilde, og det avsluttes alltid med at vi lurer på hvor den er blitt av- og mamma får kjeft for å ha giott den bort/kastet den :)
    Ler når jeg ser for meg deg og Amalie i skogen! :D
    Du må riktig kose deg i helgen, må være vanskelig å ha søsteren boende så langt borte også!
    Håper å få se mange bilder- med mye bakgrunn og glade unger, etter helgen.

     

  3. Eli Said,
    https://aniia.blogspot.com/2008/04/why-crops-hikes-and-confession.html?showComment=1209110460000#c6585372759956823712'> 10:01 AM

    Du er nå søt da :) Vi fniste litt av sms`ene som tikket inn på onsdag - men du svarte aldri på den siste så jeg lurte på en stund om du var kommet tilbake til sivilisasjonen ;)
    Tur med forviklinger kan være spennende det og - men kom på treff neste gang da :) Og ja; det er noe med å ha med ting og tang rundt ungene også og ikke alltid ta det bort fordi bildet da blir "penere". Men det kan bli mye også når man skal scrappe x antall bilder med plommerød vegg og grønn sofa *dååne* (og litt knis) Jeg digger bildene tatt på rommet til min bror fra da jeg var liten. DET er retro det og sååå kult!! Kos deg i helgen og hilse søsteren din så masse :) Klem, E (som ikke får dratt til Stavanger alikevel *sukk*)

     

  4. https://aniia.blogspot.com/2008/04/why-crops-hikes-and-confession.html?showComment=1209115680000#c4255940123029115217'> 11:28 AM

    I am so with you, I also love the photos with surrounding most. But for me it is also hard to take such photos. So hard!!

    Thanks for pointing that out. :)

     

  5. https://aniia.blogspot.com/2008/04/why-crops-hikes-and-confession.html?showComment=1209117660000#c3117150049809320929'> 12:01 PM

    Etter å ha scrappet maaaaasse bilder fra jeg var lita i det siste, så begynner jeg å bli litt lei av de vansklige bakgrunnene, men det er som du sier, det er jo de som er de virkelige minnene:)
    For å sikre litt av mine omgivelser tok jeg kameraet en dag og gikk rundt og fotograferte i hele huset - inspirert av deg faktisk! Det ble mye close-ups da, men gardinmønster, skapdører, duker jeg er glad i, til og med innholdet i kjøleskapet ble avbildet. Det ble mye rare bilder, men jeg gleder meg virkelig til å scrappe de og ikke minst se på de igjen om 10-15 år:)
    Kos deg masse i helga:)

     

  6. Anonymous Said,
    https://aniia.blogspot.com/2008/04/why-crops-hikes-and-confession.html?showComment=1209347100000#c4057439250828570298'> 3:45 AM

    Hi Ania! hope you had a great weekend with your sister and kids! I have been looking at old photos lately, getting my scrapbooking "finished" so to speak! I too have been noticing backgrounds that i typically crop out of my own photos. I'll have to start leaving some of them.

     

  7. https://aniia.blogspot.com/2008/04/why-crops-hikes-and-confession.html?showComment=1209409560000#c5671554733061657919'> 9:06 PM

    came across your blog! Love your stuff girl!!

     

  8. Maya Said,
    https://aniia.blogspot.com/2008/04/why-crops-hikes-and-confession.html?showComment=1209414420000#c3491796520044264757'> 10:27 PM

    Kjenner meg godt igjen der ja.....vil helst ha nærbildene for ungene er så fine på dem og så er de så mye enklere å scrappe...men det er noe med det å scrappe en LO med den første sykkel og alt man ser er nærbilde av et ansikt......

     

  9. JgWM Said,
    https://aniia.blogspot.com/2008/04/why-crops-hikes-and-confession.html?showComment=1209446340000#c6829817773355462310'> 7:19 AM

    Ania, came to your blog to thank you for your kind comments on my layout of the week at bad Girls.

    I so agree with your latest post. I take alot of photos, but I am trying to take more surrounding photos. When i look back at old photos, I notice cars, buildings,the surroundings etc. They are living history. Thanks for pointing it out to me again. I am going to write about it on my blog.
    Thansk again for your comments, i am a new blogger and a new poster on the internet with my scrapbook work- Gayle

    jgwm.blogspot.com
    j

     

Post a Comment

"But the bad news," he said "Girl you're a dandelion."
Dandelion. Hey I need to think about that.


-Tori Amos

    -Get off the cross we need the wood-